Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Week 2+

Week 2 Overview

Last week was a busy week.  I was busy with work and work-related things, so I didn't get much of a chance to post.  So here is my week 2+ overview.

It was overall a good week.  The last time I posted was on Thursday morning with a run of hill repeats planned for that night.  When I talked to my running partner he wanted to run what we call "The Ridge."   The Ridge is a pretty vigorous run that includes rolling hills with 3 sharp inclines.  I figured that it would work for our hill repeats so we set out that afternoon for a shorter run.  We were able to keep a pretty solid pace of around a 10 minute mile for the whole run. 

On friday I had a rifle qualification range, so after the range I did not have the energy to run at all. 

Saturday was my off day for running, so I spent a little time doing some light bike and spent a good part of the day relaxing.

Sundays are my days for my long runs.  I started around 4:30-4:45 in the morning without a running partner and set out for my 12 mile run.  It felt pretty good.  I maintained around an 8:30-8:45 per mile.  Around mile 9.5 on my run, my GPS lost signal so I had to guess how much farther I went to hit my 12 miles, so I simply ran for an extra 40 minutes to be safe.  Since most of my runs are time based rather than distance based, on my long distance run I wanted to make sure that I didn't cut it short.

So far this week has gone quickly.  My running partner's work schedule has switched to evenings, so this week I will have to do my runs on my own, until Sunday for the long run.  Monday was an hour run at medium effort, which went pretty well.  I didn't use a GPS for the run, just my heartrate monitor watch.  It was nice to not focus on mileage and pace for the run, and keep my focus on how I felt.  My average heartrate for the hour came out to right around 160 with a max around 170. 

This week I got the foam roller I had ordered.  I had never used a foam roller and have now used it twice.  It feels pretty good.  My plan is to try to use it 3 times a week, but I need to find different things to do with it. 

This week I also watched the movie "Ultramarathon Man."  Awesome movie about the runner Dean Karnazes (http://www.runnersworld.com/deans-blog) and his 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days.  Awesome inspirational movie.  It really shows some of what the human body can do when conditioned.  From what I have read and heard he is an exceptional case, but in the end the human body is able to withstand so much more than we think it can.

Looking forward to my run tonight.  Hopefully I will be able to update again tomorrow.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment