Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Week 2 Day 2

Week 2 Day 2:

Stats:
Time:45 Minutes
Effort: Easy
Distance: 4.6 Miles
Pace: 9:50

Yesterday was day 2 of week 2 with an easy run of 45 minutes.  I got off work last night with a pretty painful headache and waited around for my running partner to show up.  I really did not want to run, and was hoping he would not show.  After waiting for 15 minutes past the agreed start time, he still wasn't there.  I had a tough decision to make: Get out and run the 45 minutes, take the evening off, or go for an easy 45 minutes on the elliptical.  In the end I decided to go ahead and do my run.
 
I started my run by myself feeeling pretty good.  A nice easy jog.  Because I didn't eat dinner before starting my run, I was having no stomach pains, which was really nice.  I have been reading a few ultramarathon blogs, and I am thinking about switching my diet a little bit to only eating natural carbs, no processed carbs.  The hardest parts about trying to make this switch would be my sweet-tooth, which I have mentioned before, and the fact that the dining facility here has amazing desserts at least twice a week.  I think that despite my limited food choices where I am at I should be able to make this switch.  I will take a look and maybe start today.
  
After about 15 minutes, I passed my running partner on his way to meet me and he joined in.  We then did 30 minutes together at a nice conversational pace.  The headache didn't go away at all during the run, but I was able to work through it and start to ignore it. 
  
There are two things I really like about running.  The first is simply moving under your own power.  The fact that the human body can move and flow naturally is incredible to me.  Everything is designed to work together and to in harmony, and the more we allow it to through working out the better it gets at it.  The second is being able to look inside of yourself and be introspective on a deep level.  The surface questions such as "Who am I?" fall away and you begin to start asking questions like "What am I made of?"  Do I have what it takes to tell my body and my mind who is boss in this relationship or am I going to let them get the best of me and tell me to take a day off when I do not need it?  I'm not saying I have always won that battle, but when I do it makes me want to win more and more. 
  
Today is a scheduled off day.  I think I may still hit the gym for a little cross-training with the elliptical or the stationary bike.  I also like to get in a little tanning session at the end of my shorter work days.  We shall see how today pans out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment